Sunday, November 11, 2012

Things you can do with a Scarf



I rarely find rayon at JoAnn Fabrics.  When I do, they are generally prints that do not interest me.

But I did happen upon this floral rayon twill as I was feeling my way down the fabric aisles a couple of years ago - and it is always exciting to feel something other than polyester.  The large abstract floral was just my style!  Unfortunately, the fabric was bordered by a brown design and stopped after approximately 40" with a bunch of white and a dotted line.  What the heck!?


Turns out, the yardage was printed as a scarf design.  The dotted lines and white portions of the fabric, I suppose, would be hemmed out of sight.


Not to be deterred, I bought three sections of “scarf” and hoped I could find a suitable pattern.


The 1940s seemed like a great place to start, given the fabric rationing that dress designers were working with.


Although I was unable to cut completely around the brown and tan border, I incorporated it all on one side of the dress so it would look like part of the design.

This is, without a doubt, the most worn self-made garment I have in my closet.  It has been in rotation quite a while now, and is beginning to show signs of wear (there is a small pull in the skirt) but I am not going to give it up just yet.


I wish I could find another rayon, silk, or wool with a similar print (without the border)!  Because, to be honest, that is my favorite thing about the frock!



Dress:  Made by me, Butterick 5281
Shoes:  Banana Republic

9 comments:

  1. This is just plain brilliant! Awesome job, dear gal. I love the eye-catching, beautiful blend of patterns and how seamlessly you married them. Inspiring creation!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely dress, Laura Mae, and a gorgeous print. If only we had JoAnn Fabrics here in NYC... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be careful what you wish for!

      Delete
  3. How fun! I wish JoAnn Fabrics had more rayon! I went on a trip to the LA garment district this summer and now I'm completely jaded. No, JoAnn, I will not pay $14/yd for polyester on the red tag clearance shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dress, and so clever to place the border down the side!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That print is gorgeous! Well done working your way around the challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My fabric store has an abundance of affordable rayon in bright floral prints. Most of them border on tropial, but there are some that are similar to the print of your dress. I was actaully going to buy some rayon to make this very dress. If you interested in working something out like a swap, just let me know.

    Here is a link to a dress I made from a rayon print at my fabric shop - it came in several colorways: http://annabellebumps.blogspot.com/2012_06_01_archive.html

    ReplyDelete