Saturday, December 24, 2011

1944 Was a Good Year for Suits



I fell in love with this suit design as soon as I saw it in Vogue’s pattern catalogue back in 2005.  So much, in fact, that I copied the dark green color choice of the sketch illustrator – now I just need one of those fabulous tilt hats to complete the look!



This suit was pulled out of the closet for a special occasion:  my Emerald Green Gown was featured in an article on December 18th by a local paper.  


So when a photographer came to my apartment to take some photos for the article, I had to find something special to wear. 


Now that I remember how much I love the skirt, you can bet that the pattern is going to be pulled out when I find some suitable fabric.


And although it is now out of print, the pattern is still available from Vogue.

Now if only I would hear some news about that Bernina sewing machine . . .



Suit:  Made by me, Vogue 2885
Fishnets:  Hue
Shoes:  Via Spiga “Unit” in Black suede
Earrings:  Liz Palacios
Ring: Macys

6 comments:

  1. That is a gorgeous shade of green, and once again, the fit on this is perfect. Do you spend a lot of time testing and adjusting patterns for fit (muslins, etc), or do they just fit you "out of the box"?
    Congrats on the big article in the IJ! So great for the sewing side of the art world to get some recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. LOVE it. What an excellent fit! I just adore this, you look so dashing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently created an art show about women's clothing from the WWII. The utility suit was a major focus. The clean lines from this time reflect the restrictions and it makes for a very tailored and lovely look. Excellent job on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Katrina Blanchalle Katrina: There are a few alterations that I generally need to make, but most patterns fit quite nicely with a bit of length added to the torso, and perhaps a bit of extra room through the hips!

    I feel so lucky when I see the massive changes people make to their pattern tissue - I am not sure if I would have the patience!

    ReplyDelete