Saturday, October 29, 2011

Vintage Inspired Beaded Sweater


This is my very first beaded knitting project, finished back in 2005.



I have only worn this sweater once before, mostly because I have a hard time finding something to wear with it (yes, it is one of those projects).


The pattern is from Vintage Knits, a book I first discovered at my local library, in their somewhat dismal crafts section.  While I would have preferred the actual vintage pattern with the keyhole opening and the beaded collar and cuffs, the patterns have been reworked for a more modern look.  


With a few more years of knitting experience under my belt, I would probably have added beads to the ribbed arm and neck openings, but I am very pleased with the result.

The most challenging part of the process was getting the darn seed beads on the yarn.  Once that was accomplished, with the help of a bit of thread and a needle, the knitting was very straight forward.


Because the front and back pieces are identical, I added a small piece of yarn tied in a bow to create a “tag” – this way I always can tell the front from the back.


Now I just have to find another skirt to wear with it.  Perhaps that is my cue to pull out some fabric . . .


Sweater:  Made by me.
Skirt:  Made by me. (McCalls 3315)
Shoes:  Nine West “Zann” in Pewter from 6pm.com

2 comments:

  1. Your knitting is so even! I really like this and surprised you don't have much to go with it. It looks fab with this skirt though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sweater is lovely. You should certainly make it a point to make more clothes to match it!

    I'm not a knitter, but i am a beader.

    For future reference, you may be able to use something like this to help with the seed beads.

    http://www.beadspinner.net/page/page/3437207.htm

    I have seen highly priced ones, made from hardwood, but i myself have a cheap version (found for about $7), and it works fine for the few-and-far-between times that i use it. It truly takes about 5 minutes to put inches of seed beads on a thread. A friend of mine who uses hers constantly, says the trick is in the needle. If you buy it new, it should come with a needle, but if you luck out and find a used one that is missing its needles, here are replacement ones:

    http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H203279TL

    I do not know how big the yarn you use may be, but you could also make a needle out of a piece of wire- my friend had done that at one point- the curve at the end is important. If your yarn is too big, i'd use a needle and thread, then tie the thread to the end of the yarn, and thread the beads on that-a-way.

    THanks for sharing your beautiful pieces with us.
    angie

    ReplyDelete